February 14, 2010

7-Years Cycle, anyone?

A friend told me recently that there is a theory that states, you will recycle your friends every 7 years. My initial thoughts were, sadly, that it is not totally impossible. Looking back in my life, there have been friends lost and gained. It is not totally our fault, not sure if it is completely fate either, but it happens. Sometimes, you just grew out of them, sometimes, time played a role, sometimes it's just plain betrayal coming to get your sorry ass.

When we first start to go our separate ways back in high school, I was blessed to get to know another bunch of people who taught me about what it means to grow up. Even when I end up spending most of my free times with them, I never did forget my school friends. These are the people who made me laugh, made me cry; who helped me get through one of the most trying times in my life even without them noticing it. These monkeys helped me to count my blessings, and whenever I start counting them as blessings, I could never stop. Even up till now, I am still amazed that we manage to stay close despite the years and distance that each of us have traveled. Maybe we weren't as close as before, but I know that they'll drop whatever they're doing and come to me if ever I need help. For that I can't thank you guys enough and I can only say this:

I'm sorry If I have not been spending my time as I should with you people. I'm sorry for all the cancellations that we did whenever we plan to go out just because tak cukup korum. I'm sorry I've never contacted you guys enough. But please understand that I'll always see you guys as my friends even if we only meet like once in a year.

It hit me when Dila went to Perth. How all these years, we kept on taking rain checks when we decided to do lunch/dinner/movie/yumcha. I always think that there will be another day to meet if today didn't work out. That her leaving is just something so far in the distance. Then, she left. Everyone was contemplating on why we didn't hang out that much, how we can't believe that she had left, how we all thought that there will be more TIME. Of course it's not that much of a drama, she'll come back by the end of the year, and we'll resume our karaoke/shouting sessions in the car, witnessed by amused drivers and motorists, but damn, we could've spent more time with each other.

And then, dear Liq left as well. He was the residential Class Crackhead, and he is also our Ketua Kelas. He was the guy that kept tab of the SPM countdown on the blackboard, and he was also the guy who kept tab of the countdown to any major Hindi movie screenings =_=". The guy even came up with a jingle for a friend's family restaurant and a music video pitch for a friend's song. Back in school, we would talk and crack jokes everyday. Fast forward to after school, we would only meet during reunions and parties. Last time I saw him was in a class reunion almost a year ago. I was touched when he texted me that he is leaving.

I'm flying off people..Take care..N dun forget to watch my name is khan..Till we meet again..Salam


It might be something simple, but the thought that he actually remembers his old friend. The fact that he managed to retain the 17-year-old-Hindi-loving-freak image puts a smile to my face when I was stressed up with the pile of work that I have to do.

Here is the kind of people that I associate myself with. I'm glad to say that some of them have survived 2 rounds of 7-year cycle with me. To the ones that still lives up to the definition of 'friend', here's for another 10 rounds :). For the once who does not, well,


WHATEVER.

2 comments:

  1. kudos to the last part. yes. WHATEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. salam..

    hey, i hope that i'm still in your 7-year-circle-friends, despite of i did not hang out enough with u girls and do crazy things together..but here i am!! and i'm glad that we're still keep in touch..and i hope, i can do something to keep us closer coz i think i have put some distance between us..i'm sorry for that..for being far from u girls all this while (far means in New Zealand..hehe) maybe it's my fault for being boring..hehe..

    ReplyDelete